Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Conclusion - My Testimony

Concluding this work, I realized how much my love for the Savior has grown through the years and through this study. Christ is the center of our life. I add my simple witness that Christ lives! He loves us. I add my simple witness that through his infinite and powerful Atonement, we can return to the presence of our Father in Heaven. It takes acceptance of him from us, and a desire to follow him. Salvation comes by grace after doing our part. I decided to dedicate my life in his service looking with an eye single to his glory and the glory of my Father in Heaven. The road that leads to them, which is the path of life, is a long road filled with many experiences, trials, joy and sorrow. Through these experiences come growth, hope and a greater relation with our Maker.

I'm grateful for the blessing of being borne of wonderful parents who taught me the importance of listening to the righteous desires of my heart and to the spirit.
Their powerful example has touched me in ways that words could never give justice. Christ and his love were at the center of our home. I was also blessed with experiences that helped me learn and find the desire to rely on the Savior. People around me have been wonderful examples; but the example of the Savior and his perfect life has helped me discover myself and where my heart was. I still have a lot to learn about him and his Majesty and I am grateful for it. Improvement is the key to happiness, success and growth.
Simply, I say that those Gospel principles are true. I know of myself that the doctrines of Christ are true without any doubt! The Spirit confirmed it to me.

Almost twenty years ago now, my soul and heart were looking for direction. Baptized at eight and excited for the decision I had made then, I grew up inan environment where I would have to quickly obtain my own testimony. The LDS population was extremely small compared to the millions of people living in my City. As I reached my teenage years, I came to realize that even though I was uncertain about my beliefs, I would need to make a decision soon. Constantly feeling the influences of the world striving to pull me away from my father in Heaven, I finally got to the point where I could not stop thinking about it.
I looked back and started to understand parts of my life. I was in between faithful parents who had received a testimony of their faith in their heart years ago, and friends or other influences who looked at life without worrying about right or wrong and enjoying worldly pleasures.

To them, all these things appeared to be part of life and consequences seemed minimal, but to me, my conscience was telling me otherwise. Without ceasing, questions kept coming to my mind: “Where am I at? Where am I headed? Is there a greater purpose for all of us? What is most important?”
It was the first time in my life that I could not answer these questions for myself. It was a humbling experience to kneel down and rely on the Lord, asking for light and guidance.

I always knew that the Bible was the word of God. Another thing I always knew for sure as if it had been instilled in my DNA was that I could talk to my father in Heaven and receive answers. I felt I had to make a decision because walking on that fence was not bringing me complete happiness.

I will always remember that summer in Italy when I decided to try to understand the other witness of Christ: The Book of Mormon. I had been taught that by reading it, I would find answers to life’s purpose. I would finally see if I needed this book or not; see if it would help me draw closer to my Savior as the Bible did.

In the little town of Dueville, outside of Venice while on summer vacation, I started to read a few pages, and a little more, until I found myself spending many hours reading and pondering the book. I had tried to read it before but this time, it was different. I could hardly stop reading to eat and sleep and most of my time was spent within the pages of the book. I will always remember the desire that started to burn within my heart, to learn and to understand. I was filled with the desire to lose myself in those lines.
All of a sudden, everything was clear, everything made sense and a feeling of peace was with me during those hours of reading. Within three weeks I was reaching the end of the book and I could feel a desireto change my heart, to turn to my Father in Heaven, as the prophet Alma explained: “Have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts? Can you imagine to yourselves that ye hear the voice of the Lord, saying unto you, in that day: Come unto me ye blessed, for behold, your works have been the works of righteousness upon the face of the earth?” (Alma 5:14, 16)
I knew this decision was going to influence the rest of my life.

It is needless to say that the Holy Ghost was confirming to me the truthfulness of those things. I knew it was true. I could not explain it, but I knew.
When I came back, I decided to learn more through reading and prayers. The Lord blessed me through his words and little by little, without really realizing it, I was nourishing this testimony that I had received. Looking around me, I realized that the world's joy was often superficial and did not last. I could see many not relying on God, but relying on the gods of this world, and now clearly seeing in my mind where these “joys” lead was bringing sadness to my heart for those I had witnessed being already prisoners of those choices.

My testimony grew by searching, questioning, studying, praying and exercising my faith to a point that I knew this was the church of Jesus Christ where I could find peace, joy and get closer to God.
It has been years now since this experience happened, but the same feelings are still deep in my heart. I have since served a full time mission as a representative of Jesus Christ in Salt Lake City, Utah. A missionin the service of my God and my fellowmen for two years! I had the chance to meet people from all over the world. I had the chance to discover a different culture and my heart was filled with love. I spent hours and hours sharing my testimony and my heart, sharing the truth concerning the gospel of Jesus Christ, sharing my love for the Lord and our Father in Heaven. To see the lives of families change for the better because they allowed the gospel enter into their hearts, to see smiles on faces that felt the love of the Savior in their personal life, to see eyes marveling has touched my heart in a way that no one could ever understand. None of those experiences would have happened without the hand of the Lord in my life.

My knowledge and testimony have grown in ways that I could never have imagined. The more I learn,the more this feeling pushes and touches me. In the course of my life, many more seemingly small but eternal decisions were awaiting on my path after that beautiful day in my grandmother’s home in Italy. This testimony has been an anchor reminding me of my eternal goal and destination. All the decisions I have made have lead me on a course which I feel has been my father’s in heaven path for me. I just had to make that choice to follow him and how grateful I am for his love and patience.
Today, I simply continue to live my faith by striving to apply all the principles I am fortunate to learn daily. I truly believe that while much learning can happen in reading and studying, the true essence of understanding is in the doing. I consider each day as an opportunity to make a difference and strive to do just that in my interactions with others. My love for my Savior has developed a deep sense of caring for those I come in contact with. I have learned that the more I live the way He wants me to live, the more I want to be better and the more I want to become a source of good for those around me. I currently serve as a Bishop and perhaps the greatest blessing this calling has been to me is the opportunity to witness the power of the Atonement of Christ in the life of His children.

I love God, the Father with all my heart. I know he is real. I know that he is all-powerful and loving. I feel his influence so strongly in my life that I cannot deny it! I am finally starting to understand the importance of Jesus Christ. His Atonement is real and can be applied not only for the repentant but for anyone who wishes to change his or her heart. His pure love brings so much hope. He made it possible for us to return to our Heavenly Father. I know that I am indebted to him and love him so much that I decided to follow him for the rest of my life!
I know that the Holy Ghost bears powerful testimony of our Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ and the truth.The Holy Ghost has confirmed to me that the Book of Mormon is true and is the word of God, as is the Bible.
I know that Joseph Smith is a powerful prophet of God; I know he was chosen, lead and guided by revelation just as the prophets of the Bible were. I know that he was an instrument in the hand of the Lord to re-establish the fullness of the truth in our days.
Truth is everywhere but I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints contains the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. After a lot of prayers and reading of the sacred scriptures, the Holy Ghost has confirmed its truth to me. I know that this Church is lead by Jesus Christ himself and that he has chosen a living prophet and twelve apostles to give us guidance. I know that only in His Church can we find all the necessary gospel ordinances that will lead us to Christ and our Eternal Father.

I do know those things of myself; not through my weak knowledge, but because God answers prayers when they are sincere and filled with faith. And he answered mine when I really wanted to know!...and I know, he’ll answer yours….
I pray that everyone will decide one day, to ask the Lord about the truthfulness of these things. I leave my love through these words and an invitation to come unto Christ!

Christ is our rock; he is a sure foundation upon which we should build our spiritual selves. As Alma the prophet said: “And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.2

These words are from my heart with love and great respect for all.
To those that feel lost, neglected or under the weight of sin I say: “There is hope in Christ, come unto Him!”
To those that are searching for truth I say: “Rely on Christ, come unto Him!”
To those that feel that they know him I say: “Keep learning of Christ, come unto Him!”
To all of us I say: “Let us have him take control in our life, Let us come unto Him!”

It is my testimony,
“The Reflections of a “Mormon “
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Concluding references:
1. Alma 5: 14, 16
2. Helaman 5: 12